Poached eggs and salmon are one of my favourite breakfasts! It’s quick, delicious and full of vitamins, minerals and healthy fats from eggs and salmon. I like poaching eggs as they are much healthier then fried eggs, and it tastes so much better than a soft boiled egg. I recommend eating them with cooked asparagus as they are high in dietary fibre and antioxidants but any other cooked or steamed vegetables will work well too.
Makes: 1 serving
Time: 10 minutes
- 2 large free range eggs
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 – 4 asparagus tips, woody ends snapped off
- 4 slices of smoked salmon (about 60g)
- Pink salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chilli flakes
Poaching eggs sounds like a whole mission but believe me it is very simple!
- Add a 1 tsp of vinegar to a pan of steadily simmering water.
- Crack eggs individually into a cup.
- Create a gentle whirlpool in the water. This will help the egg white wrap around the yolk.
- Slowly put the egg into water, white first. Leave to cook for about three minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, cutting off any wispy edges using the edge of the spoon.
- Drain onto kitchen paper.
- Bring the water to a boil, gently put the asparagus into the sauce pan and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, gently take them out and drain the water.
- Put the asparagus on your plate and place smoked salmon on top. Add the poached eggs and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, chilli flakes and salt.