With summer approaching it’s important that we increase the amount of water we drink daily. This post is all about the importance of drinking water, how much water we should drink and how to spot the signs of dehydration.
Water is all around us, it covers 71% of the Earth’s surface and it makes makes up about two-thirds of the weight of a healthy body. Water is so important that in some very hot countries, like Thailand, celebrate their New Year with Songkran, the water festival.
To stay healthy, it’s important to replace the fluid we lose when we breath and sweat.
The European food safety authority recommends that everyone should drink about 2.0 liters of fluid per day. That’s about 8 glasses. Do you drink 8 glasses a day?
However, the amount a person needs to drink to avoid getting dehydrated will vary depending on a range of factors, including their size, the temperature and how active they are. So, for example if you’re exercising hard you will of course need to drink more.
What to drink? It’s best to drink water or herbal tea and avoiding sugary and fizzy drinks.
Signs of dehydration
One of the first signs of dehydration is feeling thirsty. Other common signs are:
- Dark urine
- Lack of energy
- Feeling lightheaded
Top tips to stay re-hydrated:
- drink at least 8 glasses water per day
- always drink water when drinking coffee
- drink more herbal tea (such as peppermint, nettle, fennel, chamomile) instead of black tea
- drink extra liquid during exercising
- eat soup daily
6 top reasons to drink more water
- Helps to control weight: Drinking water reduces eating intake, especially if consumed before meals.
- Detoxifies: water flushes out the toxins from our bodies through sweat and urination.
- Increases energy: Drinking water helps you to think, concentrate and boots overall energy levels.
- Natural headache remedy: helps relieve and prevent headaches which are caused by dehydration.
- Gives skin a glow: it moisturizes your skin, keeps it fresh, soft, glowing and smooth. It can also help with softening the appearance of wrinkles.
- Aids digestion and prevents constipation.