Hi to all,
Cauliflower is one of the vegetables I adore. I can eat it almost every day, raw dipping into hummus, in a vegetable soup, in astir-fry or oven baked. My favourite way of eating it is oven roasted with capers, lemon, garlic and olive oil. It’s so delicious and easy to make, so I thought I’d share this reciped with you. But let me get some facts in first about this healthy vegetable before I unleash this yummy recipe.
Cauliflower is one of the cruciferous vegetables, which includes: broccoli, cabbage, cress, box choy and various other similar green leafy vegetables. Cauliflower has no fat and is high in Vitamins C and K and it provides a good source of Vitamins B such as thiamine, riboflavin, niacin and folic acid. It serves as a good source of protein and minerals such as phosphorus, potassium and manganese.
Eating cauliflower on a regular basis has a number of health benefits, including:
- Increasing protection from free radical damage and reducing the risk for illness caused by oxidative stress, such as cardiovascular diseases.
- Cancer prevention. Eating cauliflower may prevent different types of cancer such as: bladder cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, and ovarian cancer.
- Regular cauliflower consumption can help decrease the risk of inflammation-mediated diseases such as arthritis, obesity, diabetes mellitus, inflammatory bowel disease and ulcerative colitis.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, trimmed & cut into bite-size florets
- 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/8 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of extra virgin lemon olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. capers
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet or roasting dish with olive oil.
Place the cauliflower florets in a large mixing bowl, and toss with the juice of 1/2 lemon, whole garlic cloves, salt, pepper, and extra virgin olive oil. Evenly spread the cauliflower mixture onto the baking sheet.
Cover the baking pan with aluminium foil for the first 20 minutes of roasting. In this way the cauliflower will keep the juice and it won’t get too dry.
Roast the cauliflower until it begins to soften (about 20minutes) being sure to stir once halfway through the cooking time. Remove from the oven, and toss the hot cauliflower with the capers and pour on extra virgin lemon olive oil. Increase the heat to 200 degrees Celsius and roast it uncovered for another 10 minutes or until you get desired brownness and crispiness. Enjoy!