I don’t usually binge on junk food but when I do there’s noting I enjoy more than ploughing my way through a packet of nachos! However, these Mexican delights aren’t particularly good for you, so I recently tried to find a healthy alternative. Among these were: gluten free nachos, vegetable crisps and plantain crisps. However, I wasn’t convinced by either the health benefits and or taste of any of them. I then discovered rehydrated raw kale chips, which is both delicious and healthy! In fact, did you know that kale is one of the healthiest vegetable on the earth? Read my last post.
So that is how a packet of kale crisps have became my treat.
Whenever I’m near Inspiral in Camden Town (http://www.inspiralled.net/) I now pop in and stock up on them – my favourites are”Raw purple Corn” flavour. Unfortunately, because of my busy schedule I don’t have enough time to trek to Camden often so I make my own.
Here is the recipe.
“Cheesy” Vegan Crispy Baked Kale
- 12 oz. curly green kale (about 1 bunch)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. tahini
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan salt
– Preheat oven to 250° F
– Slice kale leaves off their stems and tear them into approximately 2-inch long pieces
– Wash the kale and dry thoroughly
– In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients, making sure there are no lumps. Mix in the kale thoroughly. I usually just use my hands and massage it until the kale is lightly and evenly coated.
– Arrange the kale on 2 baking sheets
– Bake for 45 to 75 minutes, or until dry and crispy, using a spatula to turn the kale every 15 minutes or so. Make sure it does not burn